On this page, We are going to learn about the full form of Laser and the meaning of Laser, As well as the meaning, definition, abbreviation, an acronym for Laser in different categories. So you should read this post till the end.
The Full Form of Laser: Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
Laser Stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation. A Laser is an electromagnetic machine that produces intense, monochromatic, collimated, highly coherent beams of light.
The operation of the laser is based on the principle of stimulated emission. Albert Einstein was the first scientist who defines the process of the Laser. but it was developed in 1960 by Theodore H. Maiman.
Properties of LASER
there are different types of Characteristics of a LASER as mentioned belove-
- The main properties of the laser beam are that it is Superior Coherence, Superior Monochromatism, High Output, Superior Directivity
- These rays are completely coherent. This can be demonstrated in Young’s interference experiment using laser light.
- If we place Young’s double slit in front of the laser, the interference pattern is visible, but the width of the fringes in the model is very small.
- Laser rays are directional, so their beam is very narrow.
- These rays can travel a long distance without being absorbed. but it is not absorbed in water.
- The light of the laser is very intense. Raman lines can be seen by the eye using laser light.
- These rays cause the hardest metal to melt and vaporize in an instant.
Applications of LASER
using these laser properties LASERs are used in various fields like a traffic lights, medical science, electronic gadget, etc.
- Using drilling, cutting, surface treatment, welding, and soldering equipment.
- to use in barcode scanners, DVDs, or CDs.
- applications of laser in defense in anti-missile, laser-rifle, laser-pistol, and Nuclear Fusion Reactors.
- laser applications In space, lasers are used to control rockets and satellites, and in directional radio communication, and underwater communication networks.
- laser applications in engineering Lasers are very useful in engineering and science & research. It has been used in the Michelson-Morley experiment, which proves Einstein’s theory of relativity.
- With its help, the temperature of the plasma and the density of electrons, etc. can be determined. Objects far away can be seen with a laser-flashlight
- LASER is used in laser printing devices, dental treatment devices, and cosmetic treatment equipment.
- In medical science, laser beams are used in micro-surgery, dental treatment devices, cosmetic treatment equipment, treatment of kidney stones, cancer, and tumors, and in brain operations,
- In photography, stereoscopic holography photography is created with a laser.
- Laser rays are also used to measure very large distances because laser rays are very parallel. The distance of the Moon from the Earth is measured by this method.
- The color of laser light can be changed. When red-colored laser light is passed through strips of quartz crystals, the color of the laser light emitted changes.
Types of Laser
laser is divided into the following parts based on their design and its applications.
- Gas LASER
- Semiconductor LASER
- Chemical LASER
- Liquid or Dye LASER
- Excimer LASER