The Full Form of XML is an EXtensible Markup Language. XML is a markup language. It works the same as HTML (HyperText Markup Language). it is used to store and organize data. XML files are saved with the .xml extension.
It was developed by Jon Bosak and W3C (World Wide Web Consortium). The first version of XML (XML 1.0) was created in 1998. So its second version (XML 1.1) was launched on 4 February 2004.
Example of XML Program
<result subject=”English” grade=”A+”/>
<result subject=”Biology” grade=”A”/>
<result subject=”Music” grade=”B”/>
What is the Features of XML
XML is a web designing language, used to meet the limitations of HTML. Actually, data is stored inside HTML pages and contains more than 100 tags. In such a situation it becomes very difficult to remember and use all those tags. To get rid of all these problems, XML was developed. The main function of XML is to control the data. Because it is like a text file, its data can be easily accessed and opened by any text editor.
- Using this we can handle data of any complex structure.
- The description of data in XML is in text format, which can be easily understood.
- The format and code of XML can be easily read by humans and computers.
- Processing of XML data is very fast because the data in it is in Tree Structure.
- You can create tags by yourself in it, so there is no need to remember any tag.
- Data in XML can be stored and reused for a long time
- The data in XML is described by a markup language.
- XML is used for offline storage and data processing.
What are the Uses of XML
The main function of XML is to control the data.
To maintain big websites
To exchange data between organizations
To load and unload the database
To define any type of data as an XML document
To merge XML with style sheets
To create a sitemap of any website
XML can be used as a database in an application, program, or software.
What are the Limitations of XML
- The syntax of XML is very verbose.
- The syntax of XML is very explanatory.
- It does not support data types like integers, strings.
- Using XML namespaces is problematic.
- XML has no application processing system.
- For its own processing, it has to depend on the processing system of HTML.
- XML document setup processor is very difficult and expensive.
- It does not have pre-defined syntax, so its code can be redundant, which can affect the efficiency of the application.